Monday, February 24, 2014

Big fish on Broadway - Jeongyun Lee

 Last year, on my third travel of America, I went to Newyork City during one week. My friend works in Manhattan and I could stay my friend's house. Above all things, I was completely absorbed in Broadway musical. It was my purpose of journey. I saw the 4 Broadway musicals and 1 Off-Broadway musical. The musical "Big Fish" was deeply impressive. This show based on a 2003 movie directed by Tim Burton. He said "Big Fish is about what's real and what's fantastic, what's true and what's not true, what's partially true and how, in the end, it's all true." The story of Big Fish is absolutely ideal.

 The key of story is relationship between father-Edward Bloom and son-Will Bloom. Edward Bloom looks like a unusual person and has eccentric nature. When he was young, he was very courageous boy and was able to solve the his hometown's problem like appearing giant man. He was an extraordinary, if enigmatic, young man. Time after time, he talked about his legend to his son. However his son think that he is big talker. His son often bored his story and his father looks like the serial exaggerator due to ridiculous story. Before his die, Will tries to reconcile their strained relationship. The important thing is that this is the story of love. Love of Family, Friends and own life.
 The article introduce the origine of this show and director Susan Stroman, who is the five-time Tony Award–winning director and choreographer known for work like The Producers and The Scottsboro Boys, and the actors. The director mentions that I absolutely agree is “That’s something you really can’t do in movies unless you have lots of prosthetic makeup and tricks,” Stroman says. “But in the theater, it’s very natural to take on that theatrical invention. It’s a theatrical device that an audience really invests in; it’s all done physically. Norbert can be quite heroic and barrel-chested when he’s young, and when he’s an older man his whole body takes on that persona. It’s a wonderful acting treat.”
This is the magic on the stage and why I love the performing art and theater art. People have the own big fish. I think, In this show, big fish means hope and possibility of future. After watching this imaginable musical, I sincerely want to find my own big fish and my dream is clear an outline.

http://www.timeout.com/chicago/theater/director-susan-stroman-on-the-new-musical-big-fish

No comments:

Post a Comment